eff dress codes, DAY 5.




I never wore a school uniform when I was a kid but I always thought they were so cute and I wanted to have one.
It was very popularity-based fashions in my school and if you were a girl who didn't have a 'Juicy Couture' or 'PINK' (Victoria's Secret) butt in sweatpants, tucked into Uggs with a tight little baby tee (preferably also Juicy), with a little 00's era Kate Spade or Prada nylon backpack that didn't fit any schoolbooks and Tiffany & Co. jewelry (especially the open heart necklace), you weren't shit. 
It was only acceptable to have a Brazilian keratin blowout (not my frizzy curls), contacts, not glasses, and in gym class when you were changing, even your undergarments were up for scrutiny and fair game for Mean Girls to tease you over.
They all looked the same in a bad way. It was about flashing class/money and elitism. 

I wanted to look the same in uniforms so that it would be more about my personality...I definitely didn't peak at my Middle School or High School.

My main friends as a teenager were from summer camp and my early jobs as a grocery cashier and a retail associate. I have one good friend from Middle School cross country that was a year older than me but we had a lot in common.
 I'm still close with those girls and I love them! I'm grateful to the people that saw me beyond my clothes and the people that still do.

Fashion and clothes are super fun, and I love them, they give me a lot of joy but I think it's also important to remember the pain they can (and do) cause, especially to little girls and teens.






I'm wearing:
beret-vintage, (poshmark)
polo top-secondhand (my mom), last worn HERE
tie-velvet headband (old)
skirt-Target (thrifted), last worn HERE
knee socks-from amazon (20 pack)
t-strap clogs-Sven Clogs, last worn HERE
fox backpack-leafling bags, last worn HERE

What is your experience with dress codes?
Do you have one from your job?
Did you struggle with one at school? xx

Comments