movie night: classic, the karate kid.

I put this outfit together to give myself a bit of a retro look for a classic movie night with some friends. I also have been wanting to do mini-space buns in my hair for a while and it seemed like a good occasion to go for it again! I even put on makeup trying my new Urban Decay Prince palette. I would say it was an overall style success. 
Aren't these Calou Stockholm clog boots ADORABLE? The silhouette is SO good and they are so dang comfortable too. I wouldn't typically choose navy but honestly, I'm really glad s what they had left at the studio in my size--they are so unique! (The color is from a couple years ago but you can get the same style boof ots in gray, black, or brown still!)




I'm wearing: 90's denim vest from eBay, old sunglasses from pac sun, thrifted long sleeve shirt (orig anthro), coldwater creek skirt from poshmark, vintage thrifted heart buckle belt, calou stockholm clog boots, socks from Amazon


 it's kind of funny how you can see the bird's head on my sock peeking out the boot, isn't it? xx
As far as the movie went, it was my first time actually seeing it...it was definitely entertaining but a lot of things didn't age well. It was a lot of very aggressive high school bullying and misogynist culture. The stereotypes at the heart of the Mr. Miyagi character are not really my place to rant about, but there are a lot of interesting articles on him by Asian-Americans that I couldn't help but read up on to inform myself. I definitely think it's a fascinating film to discuss and explore stereotypes, racism, classism, and a lot of other themes from the movies and how they have stayed the same or changed over the years. 

Did you see it? How do you feel about the characters?

I also couldn't help but feel like Daniel's mom was largely absent when she should have been there, it seemed strange to me that he completely left her out of all his birthday celebrations, but maybe this was just him being a teenager? What do you think?

Comments