at the movies: Frozen II

It definitely felt like years since 'Frozen' came out, probably more years ago than it really has been!
Nonetheless, my good friend and I decided to go all in and see the sequel together (nobody else really wanted to that we knew) and honestly, neither of us had regrets.

In some ways, it was a lot more rewarding than the original movie.
It definitely had more for adults, in our opinion, including a musical number that was classic 1980's rock inspired, extremely reminiscent of 'Meat Loaf' and similar classic power ballads.

My personal favorite five things about the movie were:
1. The music moved the plot forward and was not completely distracting in the way it was in 'Frozen' (the original)

2. There is clear character development and growth, it is especially interesting to see the sisters' push and pull throughout the film.

3. Politics are a subtle star of the movie as debates and histories spark up about leadership and direction of kingdoms/societies.

4. The animation is truly just stunning, and really fills the theater and makes you feel good that you are not just on your couch watching it.

5. The Trolls are barely in the movie. Thank goodness. I can't stand them. Their song was one of the worst Disney songs I've ever heard in the original 'Frozen' in my humble opinion! Save the 'trolls' for the 'Trolls' franchise, am I right?

HERE are some things I didn't love about the sequel:

1. Too much Olaf. I know he's a fan favorite, but I would've been more interested in the human characters more.

2. The relationship between Anna & Kristoff, it's a bit choppy. It's great to see more, but it still doesn't feel like enough to me. We hardly got any of Anna's side of things, it was almost all Kristoff-centered as far as the feelings and development of their love/relationship go. It would've been nice to see more from her perspective. What does she love about him, anyway?

3. The dead parents trope. It's just a bit tired, isn't it? I would've loved to see Elsa and Anna connect with at least some other family in the film about their heritage. Maybe some aunts, uncles, cousins? It would have been nice to see them have somebody else besides just having each other, in my opinion. Disney really needs to work on showing more positive family units, in my opinion.

4. A slightly edited run time. It seemed a little long and tedious at some parts of the movie. I didn't like that they had the 'main song' about three different times too. One is enough for me!

5. Are we done with 'Frozen?" Even though it definitely had an 'ending' I still can't help but feel like there will be a third movie and it gives me mixed feelings. Anna seems a bit flat/2D but it definitely seems like there is a lot more to learn about Elsa at the end.


---
Those are my main pros and cons, I'm sure there could be more but these stood out the most to me. I also chose not to give spoilers!

Have you seen the movie? What did you think? I would recommend it but I do feel like you already have to be a fan to enjoy it! xx

Comments